Black Bean And Yam Pitas
Low Fat Vegetarian Beans
Last updated 10/4/2011 8:08:41 PM. Recipe ID 35593. Report a problem with this recipe.
Visit our newest sister site air.felisnox.com
- Hundreds of free flight manuals for civilian, military, historical and simulator aircraft!
Title: Black bean and yam pitas
Categories: Lowfat, Moosewood, Beans grain, Vegetarian
Yield: 2 Servings
1 c Cooked black beans
1 3/4 c Sweet potatoes; cut into
1/2 c Cooked rice; white or brown,
1 ts Peanut oil
3/4 ts Grated ginger root; fresh
1 Clove garlic; minced
1 pn Cayenne
3/8 c Chopped onions; (1/4 to 1/2
1/2 ts Ground cumin
3 tb Chopped celery
3 tb Chopped green bell pepper
1/4 ts Fresh thyme leaves; or more
2 tb Fresh orange juice
1 tb Orange marmalade; fine cut
1/4 ts Grated orange peel; to taste
2 lg Pita bread; whole-wheat,
2 tb Chopped vegetables; See note
1/2 c Vegetable broth
1 tb Chutney; spicy
~Black Beans. Cooked, drained, rinsed, cooled
~Sweet Potatoes or Yams. Peeled, cubed, cooked, drained, cooled
~Rice. Steamed and cooled.
* Chop, dice, etc. other ingredients. Warm the pita, if necessary, so
that the pockets will open easily.
1. Saute ginger and garlic in oil for 1 to 2 minutes.
2. Add cayenne, onions, and cumin and saute until the onions are
3. Add celery, bell pepper, and thyme and saute until tender.
4. Remove from heat. Set oven to 350F.
5. Add sweet potatoes, rice and beans to the pan. Add the juice
[----- The dish may be made ahead to this point -----]
6. Fill each pita pocket with bean filling; about 1 cup will be left
7. Arrange in an open pan. Tent with foil, optional. The pockets will
be taco-crisp if you do not.
8. Bake 350F for 15-20 mins.
9. Make a stew with remaining bean filling by adding broth, finely
diced mixed vegetables (from crudite mix) and chutney. Heat slowly and
Meal Planning *Serve a pita with the additional stew as a sauce;
salsa: a mango, citrus salsa, or melon and cucumber; and thinly
shredded lettuce. *Per half-pita (about 4 oz): 283 cals, 3.0 g fat,
404 mg sodium. *Variation: serve on rice with optional tortilla chips
made from white or blue corn.
**CITRUS SALSA: tomatoes, red bell peppers, chili peppers, garlic,
salt, lime or lemon juice, cilantro, pineapple chunks with juice but
unsweetened (optional). Serve with melon.
**CUCUMBER MELON: 1/2 a cucumber; peel, seed and dice. Two slices of
firm cantaloupe (crenshaw); chopped. Mix and stir in optional fresh
lime or orange juice. Let stand 15 minutes. Serve with chopped fresh
Based on an idea from Moosewood Restaurant Cooks for a Crowd: Recipes
with a Vegetarian Emphasis for 24 or More, by The Moosewood
Collective, John Wiley & Sons (1996) | Contact kitPATh
Didn't find the recipe you were looking for? Search for more here!
How're we doing?
Have you spotted a recipe on this site that is
erroneous, incomplete, dangerous, in an inappropriate category, or that may infringe a copyright? If so,
please make a note of the "Recipe ID" number at the bottom of the
recipe's page and e-mail us with your